Graduate Financial Support

Funding depends on a student maintaining "good academic standing" with the Department of Economics and the Graduate School. To maintain good academic standing, a PhD student must: 

  • Maintain a grade point average of at least 3.0.
  • Pass the mandatory core courses in the program. 
  • Pass both preliminary examinations during the summer of the first year of the program. 
  • Submit a research paper by the due date in the summer after the second year in the program. 
  • Have the research paper accepted by the due date in the fall semester of the third year in the program. 
  • Pass the Dissertation Proposal before the end of the third year in the program. 
  • Be judged by the Director of Graduate Studies to be making satisfactory progress on his or her dissertation, when the student is beyond the Dissertation Proposal stage. 

Once a student is in the 6th year of the program or beyond, he or she is not in good academic standing, unless the Director of Graduate Studies has been supplied with convincing evidence, by the student and the student's dissertation supervisor, by the time funding decisions are made (typically the February before the current academic year) that: (i) there have been unusual circumstances that have impeded dissertation progress; (ii) the student will have the dissertation completed by the end of the upcoming academic year, and will be on the job market during the upcoming academic year. 

Additional Funding Sources

Summer Support

Summer financial support has typically been available to students about to enter their second-through-fifth academic year. Applications are due in February. There are also teaching positions available through University College. Students who have accepted a permanent job in the fall cannot receive financial support in the preceding summer.

Federal Work Study

American graduate students are eligible for support under the federally sponsored Federal Work-Study (FWS) program if they meet certain federally defined criteria of financial need. All American students must complete and submit the Family Financial Planning Statement (FFPS) in order to determine their eligibility for FWS support.

Travel Awards

Travel Funding

By following the guidelines below you may expect reimbursement via check no later than 15 business days. All documentation must be turned into Carissa Re, Campus Box 1208, Seigle Hall, Room 307.

All three items are due in order to get reimbursed:

  1. Approval from contributing dept/school(s) which may include:
  2. Effective March 15, 2018  registration (using MYTRIPS) for University-related international travel will be required of all students traveling outside the United States for University purposes.
  3. Travel Expense Statement - Travel expense statements must be completed in a timely manner (generally no longer than 15 days) after the completion of the trip. Travel will not be reimbursed if receipts are more than 30 days old. The form must be printed and completed manually.
  4.  Supporting Documentation. Supporting documentation is defined as an original document from the vendor that contains the price. Monthly credit card statements and canceled checks alone will not be accepted as supporting documentation. Original receipts must be taped single side only to a regular sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper prior to being turned in.

Foreign Receipts: Employees are encouraged to use to obtain the average exchange rate for the applicable time period. In addition, receipts for hotel, rental car, airfare, etc., should be labeled as such in English. A copy of the print screen with exchange rate must be included with the travel expense statement. A copy of a monthly credit card statement with original receipts is acceptable to show actual conversion amounts.

The travel reimbursement policy can be viewed here and non-reimbursable expenses can be viewed here.  

Please note:

When booking travel please note that CRES will not reimburse group packages (through Orbitz, Expedia, etc). You must provide a print out of a flight quote if you are approved for CRES funding.

Washington University does not reimburse insurance on car rentals since we are able to provide an insurance card to employees (grad students are considered employed by the university) prior to travel. Please see Carissa or Karen for the insurance card.


Dissertation Travel Fund

Department of Economics graduate students may apply for dissertation travel funds in the amount of $1,000 by submitting the form below provided that the following guidelines are met:

  • Enrolled in the Economics PhD program, fully-funded by a University Fellowship, and working on their dissertation. Students funded by Olin Fellowship, Chancellor’s Graduate Fellowship, or a non-GS source (NSF Fellowship, McDonnell International Scholars Academy Scholarship, etc.) are NOT eligible for the dissertation travel fund.

  • Finished with all requirements for their PhD, prior to the start of a dissertation travel fund award. This includes all required examinations (prelims) other than the oral defense, all coursework, and the proposal defense as well as approval of the TSP form.

Additionally, please note:

  • Funds are available at the beginning of August for fall and the beginning of January for spring and will remain available until they are exhausted or the student graduates, whichever comes first.
  • If a student lives outside of St. Louis, the award may not be used for travel between their residence and St. Louis.